Plus: looking forward to ‘Green Days at Home’ in June
Bedford Park Festival To Be Held Online This Year – A ‘virtual’ Green Days will also take place – Chiswick W4.com
Hear more in this interview with the Festival’s community co-ordinator, Torin Douglas – ChiswickBuzz.net
At St Michael & All Angels, as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, public worship and events have been suspended; our Noon Mass is being streamed each day; the church is no longer open for private prayer; we have started a podcast, are trying to help charities and local people (within the limitations), and are providing activities for children at home.
Our Parish Office is closed but you can still contact our Parish Managers, Anna Benson and Claire Barrell, via phone and email: 020 8994 1380 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Ascension Day challenges us to share our faith in the God who has not left us or forsaken us, and to proclaim His love and to bring His healing, peace and hope to the world”. Keep in touch with letters like this through our Events Newsletter.
Get in touch
If you have self-isolated and/or you need any pastoral or other support, please get in touch with us via the Parish Office: 020 8994 1380 or email@example.com. It is important to have a robust pastoral strategy at this time: not just the clergy, but all the congregation, engaged in actively phoning – or contacting in other ways – vulnerable members of the congregation and others, to keep in touch and to offer practical help if need be.
2. Catch up with our Eastertime worship each day – on St Michael & All Angels’ Facebook page
The Mass is streamed on Facebook. Please note: you should not have to join Facebook to watch it if you don’t want to! Simply click this link or paste it into your browser https://www.facebook.com/smaaaW4/ If you have difficulties in joining the service, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org for help!
You can watch recordings of all our streamed services on the Catch Up: Videos page
See photos of last year’s Easter Vigil here (and our albums of other services).
Read Cathie James’s liturgical guide to Eastertide here.
Easter at St Michael & All Angels
3. Listen to our Podcasts – words and music
You can also now hear them on the telephone!
Simply ring 020 8106 1967 (the year of the first Bedford Park Festival) to hear The Good Shepherd podcast.
4. Listen to Mindfulness Podcasts from St Peter’s Centre for Mindfulness
During the closure of the centre, we will be uploading Podcasts here to help you with Mindfulness meditation at home. This is the direct link to the podcasts.
We hope you find these useful and if you do we would like to request a small donation towards keeping the centre going at this time. Please click the donation link here.
5. Sunday worship and activities for children at home, Easter Bonnets and Easter Garden
During the COVID-19 situation, the Children’s Church team are providing Sunday worship and activities for children at home. See Children’s Church Online: Worship and activities. Thanks – and congratulations – to those who entered our Easter Bonnet competition and who created our Easter Garden (left). Please email your pictures giving your name and age, to the Parish Office: email@example.com .
6. Donating to St Michael’s and our charities
- With no Sunday collection in church, please contribute to the work of St Michael’s via our website. You can donate here, and we encourage you to add Gift Aid if you are able. During Lent, we are inviting people to join our Planned Giving scheme; it allows us to budget effectively and reduces administrative costs. Read more about Planned Giving.
- You may also donate online to our St Michael’s three charities for 2020, The Upper Room, WaterHarvest and West London Welcome. Please click on the links to see what they are saying about the current crisis. You can donate to them via our Virgin Money Giving page. Read an email from Nicky Flynn to the chair of St Michael’s Charities Group, John Clark.
7. Helping the vulnerable and those in need
- If you have self-isolated and/or you need any pastoral or other support, please get in touch with us via the Parish Office: 020 8994 1380 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Fr Thomas is co-ordinating volunteers to help vulnerable people with food deliveries, picking up prescriptions and so on.
Our congregation are also phoning people for a chat and to see that they are ok!
More volunteers would be welcome – please contact the parish office. We shall update the information here.
- Where to get help: St Michael & All Angels, from The Chiswick Calendar
Dozens of roads locally now have a WhatsApp group to help their neighbours.
See the latest list (April 26th 2020) here on the Chiswick COVID-19 Mutual Aid group Facebook page.
- Other useful links:
Ealing Council: Ealing Together
Hounslow Council: Community Support Hub
The Chiswick Calendar COVID-19 Help Directory
Help The Chiswick Playhouse Play On
**Ealing Foodbank’s office is now closed and we can no longer take donations – but they can receive them on Wednesdays in Hanwell. See details on the Ealing Foodbank website, including its latest shopping list.
8. Keeping occupied and cheerful
- To keep your brain active, one of our Newsletter readers, P Singh, has sent in these brainteasers: a crossword and three maths problems.
- The Bedford Park Society has started a weekly Newsletter featuring photos of Spring in Bedford Park and notable former residents
- The Chiswick Book Festival Newsletter will give you entertaining and informative links for your children, including reading suggestions and creative writing competitions. Click here to read it.
- Lockdown: Things to do, for adults and children – The Chiswick Calendar
- J K Rowling has opened up a new area on wizardingworld.com with loads of Harry Potter at home activities.
And Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone has been added to the Audible collection of free audiobooks.
For updates, watch this page and our regular Newsletters; the St Peter’s Acton Green website; and our Facebook and Twitter pages.
The Chiswick Calendar Newsletter is now focussing on what’s happening in the crisis and how you can help in Chiswick.