Children’s Church Online
John 11: 35
In the book of Psalms, David asked God to put his tears in a bottle. (Psalm 56:8).
I don’t know that God keeps our tears in a bottle, but I do believe that God sees our tears and hears us when we cry.
Do you ever cry? Of course you do. What is something that makes you cry?
I have been thinking of some things that make us cry.
Have ever fallen down and hurt yourself so badly that you cried?
Have you ever have been so sad that you cried?
Has someone ever hurt your feelings and you cried?
Have you ever cried because someone else was crying?
We all cry, don’t we? Did you know that Jesus cried? The shortest verse in the entire Bible says, “Jesus wept.”
I know of at least three things that made Jesus cry.
- The Bible tells us that Jesus cried when He prayed for others. It says, “While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears.” (Hebrews 5:7 NLT)
- The Bible also tells us that Jesus cried when He saw people who were missing out on what God wanted for them. Luke tells us that as Jesus approached Jerusalem and saw the city, He wept over it and said, “I wish that even today you would find the way of peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from you.” (Luke 19:41-42 NLT)
- Another time, the Bible tells us that Jesus cried when friends of His were hurting:-
Jesus and Lazarus
Jesus had a friend named Lazarus who became very sick. His sisters, Mary and Martha, sent word to Jesus and asked Him to come and heal Lazarus, but when Jesus arrived, Lazarus had already died. The Bible tells us that when Jesus saw Mary weeping because her brother had died, He cried too. That isn’t all that Jesus did; listen to what happened next.
Jesus went with Mary and Martha and some others to visit the grave where Lazarus was buried. It was a cave with a large stone across the entrance. When they arrived at the tomb, Jesus said to some of the men who were with them, “Take away the stone.” Then Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” And Lazarus walked out of the grave. I imagine that when she saw that, Mary’s tears of sadness turned to tears of joy.
Dear Jesus, it is comforting to know that when we cry, You cry with us. But it is even more comforting to know that You have power over death and the grave and that one day we will be in heaven with You–and then there will be no more tears.
In Jesus’ name, Amen
- Lazarus’ Rock Cake Bake
**Please get an adult to help you!**
225g self raising flour
75g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
125g unsalted butter cut into cubes
150g dried fruit
1 free-range egg
1 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
Two mixing bowls, a baking tray with some baking parchment cut out to line it, a fork, a wooden spoon a teaspoon and a tablespoon, a wire rack for cooling
Here’s how to make them:
- Preheat over to 180/160 Fan and line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and rub in the cubed butter with your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs, then mix in the dried fruit
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg and milk together with a fork and add the vanilla extract
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture looks and feels like a thick, lumpy dough. Add a teaspoon more milk if you need it to make it stick together more
- Take ping pong ball size handfuls of the mixture (or you can use a spoon if you like) and place onto the baking tray. Leave a space between each one as they will flatten and spread out to about twice their size while they bake
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until they look golden brown. Allow them to cool for a couple of minutes before popping them onto a wire rack to cool some more….don’t be tempted to bite into one until it is safely cooled!!
Why not send pictures of your Rock Cakes or any of your pictures or activities to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can display them. And download the activity sheets below.
2. Colouring Page:
Jesus Raises Lazarus Colouring Page
3. Word Jumble:
Jesus and Lazarus Word Jumble
Jesus And Lazarus Maze